He’s Here!!!!!

Introducing Otis Tucker Moore!!!!!

Early Monday morning around 4am I was awakened with my first contractions. Brad decided he would work from home to stay close by but the contractions were few and far between and all the walking in the world wasn’t speeding them up. We weren’t concerned though, just excited that we’d get to meet the mystery man soon. Around midnight the contractions revved up a bit. They were coming every 10 minutes and were hurting more. This is it we thought. But alas all the walking around the house just wouldn’t speed them up. They were getting more and more intense but staying 10-12 minutes apart. I won’t lie- I was a bit annoyed. 

We watched about two whole seasons of Friends, played countless games of solitaire and took late night showers. Brad even decided to shave his beard so as to be less intimidating when the little guy arrived.

Well, hallelujah- by 5am the contractions had been 4 minutes apart for an hour and a half and the hospital said we could come on in. We checked into Santa Rosa Kaiser at 5:45am and were super jazzed (yup I said jazzed) to learn that I was already 5cm dilated and 100% effaced. We figured we’d be popping this kid out in no time.

Well, pretty much anytime I sat down the contractions slowed down. Hmmm. So we began roaming the hospital halls- for 5 hours. What with the neighborhood stroll the day before, the late night promenades around our house, and the morning walk-a-thon at the hospital my legs were pretty shot. The midwife came in to check my progress and we discovered I hadn’t made any. Boo!

Up until then I hadn’t decided what kind of pain management to use, if any. Well, having already been awake for 30 hours I decided to opt for the epidural. I had been kind of nervous about the lack of control that comes with the epidural but I gotta tell you, that first hour with it was the most comfortable I had been in months! They broke my waters to see if that would speed things up and I took an hour long nap. Best nap of my life- I got to fall asleep to the sound of my son’s heart beat on the monitor. 

I woke to find my contractions had slowed down, enter pitocin to induce the labor and the contractions sky rocketed. Don’t know what they would have felt like without the epidural cuz I was still feeling them big time. By 5pm Iwas 10cm!!! Now all we needed was the urge to push. By 7pm I still didn’t have the urge but we decided to start the process anyway.  Once again I figured he’d be out in no time and once again I was wrong. As Brad helped to hold my legs up and our wonderful nurse, Gerry, cheerleaded us, I did the most strenuous work I’d done in my whole life. I pushed for nearly 3 hours and at 9:58pm on Tuesday, August 19th I got the best reward of life- in one final set of pushes not only did his full head come out but the rest of him too and immediately he was in my arms and Brad and I were gazing at our son. All the tiredness and frustration just seeped out of us to be replaced by love and awe. 

He weighed in at 8lb 9oz and is 21.5 inches long. He’s completely healthy and we are busy watching his personality unfold and learning how to care for him. Brad is changing diapers like a champ and Otis and I are starting to get the hang of breastfeeding. My parents got to meet him soon after he was born, his Aunt Jen flys in to visit this weekend, and Brad’s folks arrive next Wednesday so his social calendar is already filling up. As I write this he is asleep in my arms and I am constantly distracted by his little murmurs, cute sideburns (that match his dad’s), and adorable face. More later . . . . 

P.S. Knitwear provided by Bonita “Grammie” Moore


7 thoughts on “He’s Here!!!!!”

  1. This post makes me cry 🙂 He is so cute and I love his cute little nose. Becky-I am so proud of you, you are an inspiration as a sister! I love you Brad-I love you and know you’re an awesome dad already! See you both soon


  2. I have tears in my eyes!! Welcome baby Otis!! And oh man, you worked hard to get him here! I love how you called him “the best reward of life” for all the pushing (and walking). He is so sweet and adorable, I can’t wait to meet him. And of course, the knitwear is AMAZING.


  3. I’m wondering if I should name my kid Garfield for purposes of the family band.

    P.s. Wow!!!!!!!! I love his name. “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay” is the #1 song that makes me think of Otis’s Dad. Congrats on the knit adorned bundle of joy! xoxoxo


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s